Authors & Illustrators in Singapore: the Asian Festival of Children's Content


I'm very excited to be going to Singapore next week for the Asian Festival of Children’s Content. I first heard of the festival when I met R. Ramachandran, head of the Singapore Book Council, at the Bookaroo Festival in New Delhi – another extraordinary event. After seeing one of my sessions he said he’d like to invite me to the AFCC, and so now I’m busy preparing talks and handouts, looking forward to catching up with friends, meeting authors only known through facebook or twitter – and browsing through the Lonely Planet Guide to Singapore!  (Though I have a feeling that the latter may be wasted, as the Festival itself looks too good to stray from.)

Sunday 26th at 2:15 I’ll be speaking to children about “An Author’s Creative Journey –Imagining Nim’s Island”. 
In the Authors & Illustrators’ Festival,  
I have the pleasure of speaking with Susanne Gervay about our books Butterflies and Peeling the Onion in Challenge, Trauma and Recovery in YA Fiction, with Shirley Lim moderating. Susanne's done a great post on the festival and participants: http://www.sgervay.com/blog
WA writer and  friend Dianne Wolfer will be moderating my session from Book to Blockbuster. To go along with the talk, I’ve been busy preparing a handout of hints for what to expect if your work is optioned.
Finally, I’ll be joining Vatsala Kaul Banerjee, Renee Ting and Kathleen Ahrens in the writing critique: First Pages.
But wait, there’s more: On Tuesday 28th, at 8:50 am I’ll be interviewed on Channel  News Asia, and at 11:00 am I’ll be be on 938 Live.
It sounds like a busy and exciting week. Thanks very much to the National Book Development Council of Singapore www.bookcouncil.sg R. Ramachandran, Kenneth Quek, Stephanie Tanizar and everyone else involved for making it all possible. 
(And a week from now, I'll be on the plane...) 

Labels: , , , , ,